Corporate events are highly regarded by employees, but they can be a challenge to organise. They need to be professional, fun and welcoming, which is why it’s essential to have the right tools and resources at hand.
In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about planning corporate events: from how to choose the best venue for your team getaway or conference, to selecting activities and entertainment that will keep everyone entertained during downtime.
What Is a Corporate Event?
A corporate event is an event that takes place in a private or public setting, usually hosted by a corporation or organisation. These events can be anything from simple backyard barbecues to VIP dining whilst watching the Melbourne Grand Prix.
Corporate events are also great for building relationships with key stakeholders inside your company’s ecosystem and outside it. They allow you to connect with partners and suppliers on a personal level and give your employees opportunities to network with industry peers.
Although these types of meetings are often planned for months, there will always be some leeway for last-minute changes if something unexpected happens. So, don’t worry too much about having everything perfect from day one.
What Makes a Good Venue for a Corporate Event?
The venue is one of the most important aspects of a good event. It needs to be accessible, able to accommodate the number of guests you’re inviting and offer a good atmosphere for your event.
The location should be convenient for both you and your guests so that everyone can easily get there and back safely. You should also take into account how long it takes for people to travel from their places of residence or work towards getting there.
The size and layout of a venue will also affect how well it works as a meeting place for all attendees. You need enough space so that everyone has room to move around—but not too much space where they have nothing else left to do.
A corporate event can help establish a good relationship between your company and your clients. In such instances, hospitality packages are also available to cater to you and your guests. For example, a corporate suite to enjoy the AFL final series at Optus Stadium or a formal get-together with catering services whilst watching the Melbourne Grand Prix. The location is what makes or breaks the overall experience for your guests.
Why Choosing a Venue for an Event Is Important
Choosing the right venue for your corporate event is a crucial component of the planning process. Here’s how to make sure you’ve chosen the best venue for your corporation:
- Be sure to choose an appropriate venue based on the number of attendees, budget and other logistical considerations. For example, if you’re inviting more than 500 people to Optus Stadium events, it might be better to rent out an entire banquet hall rather than holding it in one large room or convention centre (where everything will feel too crowded).
- Assess potential costs before choosing a venue. You may need extra functionality like audio/video equipment or catering services that aren’t included with basic packages offered by many facilities.
Another example is if you’re planning to host a grand corporate event for your colleagues or clients, always check the premium packages that the facility can offer like the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), which offers AFL Private Suites and Cricket Shared Hospitality Lounges at a fair price. Doing so will give you and your guests an unforgettable experience at MCG events.
- Choose venues according to their target audience. Some types of events call for different types of venues; these include galas and weddings, conferences and trade shows.
Suncorp Stadium events usually feature the NRL, whilst MCG events are where Cricket games are best held. These stadiums are not only good for sporting events but also for concerts and cultural shows.
How Do Conduct a Corporate Event?
Organising a corporate event can be tricky, but if you put in the time and effort to plan every step of your event, it will be worth it. The best way to start is by getting the right people involved in planning.
From small social gatherings to grand Suncorp Stadium events, you need to have an idea of what type of event you’re hosting and who will benefit from attending it. By setting goals and objectives, you can figure out how many people should attend and what type of speaker or entertainer would best fit your overall theme.
Once you’ve got all your ducks in a row (or better yet—on their way), here are some tips for making sure that everything runs smoothly:
- Plan ahead! Having a solid plan for executing events is critical if everything else is going well too. Otherwise, nothing is holding together other than optimism and hope which might not work so well if things go wrong later on.
- Invite only those who need invitations sent out beforehand so they know exactly when/where/why this meeting will take place (and when). This prevents confusion later on whilst also ensuring everyone shows up.
- Make sure you have all the necessary equipment or supplies needed for your event (this includes tables, chairs, plates/cups/silverware, etc).
- Have a backup plan ready just in case something goes wrong. You can’t always predict what will happen when people get together so be prepared with a Plan B if things don’t go as planned.
The 4 Phases of Organising an Event
This is the first step in organising any event. You need to know what you want your event to achieve, who will be attending it and what kind of venue will be best suited for hosting it.
Once you’ve planned out the details of your corporate event, it’s time to get started with prepping for it! You can use this time to research catering options and book travel arrangements and hotels for attendees—anything that involves logistics.
This phase makes sure everything runs smoothly so that everyone who attends has a good time.
Don’t forget about analysing or having a survey on how things went so that they can improve next time around!
Eventpod: Corporate Hospitality Experiences Like No Other
With these tips in mind, you will be well on your way to organising a successful corporate event. You mustn’t get bogged down by details or overthink things—you just need to be able to keep things simple and stay organised. Also, you can always reach out for help when it comes to planning and executing the big day.
At Eventpod, we can help you with our large range of services, including concert and cultural events, corporate hospitality at major sporting events, standout participation-based events and team building days tailored to your needs. We make sure that you and your guests will enjoy a unique experience together.
For more details about our services, call us on +61 (0)2 8296 5890.